If you’re considering going for a metal building lean to, then this blog will make it all easy for you. It can instantly make your property usable and pretty spacious. It is a simple way to attach a new structure to your existing property to make it more functional and usable. Whether you’re trying to add a new carport, or you’re planning to extend your current building and attach a new metal building to it, these lean-to structures can be a property saver. Let’s explore what lean-to is and how to attach it to an existing metal building.
What is a lean-to building?
A metal building lean-to addition is a shed or shelter. It is commonly known as a garden sunroom. It is usually made by bracing rafters against another existing building or a wall at a vertical position. The distinctive feature of the lean-to is that it has one sloped roof and it always relies on an existing building or a wall for support.
Ideas of Utilizing Lean-to for Your Metal Building
There are numerous benefits that a lean-to addition can offer. Let’s explore the uncanny ideas that can be incorporated with these lean-tos.
- Lean-tos are the perfect cost-effective solution to extend the space of your building without breaking the bank. They can be added as a garage, shed, or porch and will cost you less as compared to building a new one from scratch.
- If you’re someone who loves to have a little family time then a lean-to extension can be a prime choice. It gives you additional space where you can enjoy a night out with friends, a movie night under the stars with your partner, or a BBQ plan with your family.
- A metal building with lean to porch can become a great carport. A garage where you can keep your valuable vehicles safe can be a great addition to your home or commercial businesses.
- Similarly, if you’re a fitness freak but hate going to the gym every now and then, the lean-tos can save you time and effort by creating a space for your gym.
- Not only that, a cozy home theater where you can enjoy watching your favorite movie with your partner can also be a dream come true with the help of a lean-to.
- The uniqueness of lean-to is not only restricted to that, you can let your nature lover express openly and loudly by creating a home garden with this extension.
Complete Guide to How to Flash a Lean-To on a Metal Building
The addition of a lean-to to a metal building is a valuable investment that certainly pays off. It is an excellent way to uplift the functionality of your space. However, it is very important to ensure proper flashing during the installation process. It is essential to prevent leaks and maintain the integrity of your metal building. We will guide you through the steps of flashing a lean-to on a metal building ensuring a waterproof and durable connection.
Step 1: Arrange Necessary Tools and Materials
Getting the right tools before lean to on metal building the start of flashing is readily needed. The list of tools that must be in your possession includes:
- Personal Protective Equipment including safety gloves, glasses, and appropriate overalls.
- Drill machine with metal drill bits
- Metal flashing materials typically galvanized steel or aluminum
- Roof sealants
- Self-tapping screws
- Chaulking gun
- Measuring tape
After ticking the list of all these tools we can safely now move to the next step.
Step 2: Take Measurements and precisely Mark
Start with measuring the length of the lean-to and mark the spots where you are about to install the flashing. Ensure that the measurements you take are pinpoint and accurate. Ensure that the marks you have made are evenly spaced and along with the attachment points on both the structures.
Step 3: Prepare the Metal Building
If your metal building has already a roof, you have to prepare it first. Carefully remove any screws from the places where you want to attach the lean-to structure. Using a drill machine create holes for the flashing. Ensure the size of the holes are matching the diameter of the screws that you will be using.
Step 4: Installation of Flashing on Metal Building
Now comes the step of cutting the metal flashing to the adequate length with the use of tin snips or a metal saw. Align the flashing with the marks on the metal building and securely place it using the screws. You have to ensure that the flashing is level and tightly sealed to prevent any water penetration.
Step 5: Preparation of Lean-To Structure
Prepare the lean-to structure same as the preparation of metal building by drilling holes for flashing. Make sure that the holes align with those on the metal building for a safe connection. To prevent water infiltration apply roofing sealant to the drilled holes.
Step 6: Attach the Flashing to Lean-To
Rightly position the lean-to against the metal building by aligning the already drilled holes with those on the flashing attached to the metal building. Safely secure the lean-to in place by putting the screws through the holes. Tighten the screws and ensure watertight sealing.
Step 7: Make the Joints Watertight
Water is a dangerous intruder and can seep through into the structure. It is therefore important to enhance the waterproofing of the connections. Apply the roofing sealant along with the joints where the flashing meets the metal building and the lean-to structure. This is where the caulking gun comes into play. Use it and ensure all the potential points from where water can enter are sealed.
Flashing a lean-to on a metal building is an investment that always pays off. This is a practical application that enhances the functionality of your space. Alongside its usability and functionality, the worth of the property also increases. By following the above-mentioned instructions you can create a durable and water-resistant connection. This ensures the longevity of your metal building and will make it more resilient.